Friday, August 20, 2010

Flies for Big-Ugly





























The first fly is the Moorish Mouse. This is based on a pattern I found at the MN Fly Angler and they use a pretty stiff elk hair which is very durable and floats well. The problem with that material is that it makes it harder to tie a larger fly. I use plain old deer hair and spin it on the hook like a bass bug. The top is good ole fly foam: a dense, closed cell material that floats well and won't water log. The tail is a brown rabbit strip sliced thin with an Exacto. Do not use the rabbit strip as it comes out of the package. It is too wide and it will water log and unbalance the fly. Strip all of the hair from the hide save for the very end of the strip. I highly recommend using kevlar thread for this fly especially if you are using the tougher elk hair. I use a #4 tiemco nymph hook. Fish this fly with a slow steady strip. Pause and repeat. Listen.

The second fly is the cone-headed crystal bugger. They twist is I also use translucent, black metal flake rubber legs. The cone is tungsten. Tie this in #2s or bigger.

The third fly is my go-to smallmouth fly. Another cone-head bugger. This one I use canary yellow marabou with a medium brown marabou (not dark). I use copper crystal flash in the tail and medium (size) brown chenille and a grizzly saddle. For durability I wind the saddle with copper wire simultaneously and that way I don't trap hackles underneath the wire. I tie this mostly in 4s and 2s. Lastly, I expoxy (5 minute) the cone-heads for durability. The third fly is responsible for the fish next to it.

When it comes to fishing the streamers, fish fast: two three casts tops at each likely spot. If a fish is present and in the mood he will likely grab it on the first or second cast. A downstream retrieve is better than the classic down-across-swing. Also, in spots where I know a big fish is present I will change flies--usually to the black--to see if I can trigger the fish. I use the mouse at night. Moon phases are important. There seems to be a lot of prey activity during the new moon. Consequently, I get the most action on new moon. Yes, it's really dark. Just get out there and deal. Also, it helps the scout a spot first. It also helps to know that a big fish is present before venturing out with the mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment