Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fat Bronze















I went to the river that has fewer fish, but really big fish. When I get there the river has this weird infestation of moss. Usually, the kind associated with a leaky septic system somewhere upstream. So, instead I chose to avoid an E.Coli infection and I headed across the bottom lands of Minnesota (seriously, it looks like Siberia) to the upper reaches of this particular river where it headwaters near (but not from) lake Mille Lacs.

I got chased out by unbelievably harsh black flies, horse flies, and skeeters.

So, I went downstream to this stretch close to where it enters the St. Croix. Didn't catch any big bruisers. I spooked most of those as many of them were hiding in barely enough water to cover their backs. Though I did observe a few trying to root crawdads out from the rocks--which are everywhere in this stream. Seriously, I saw the Grand Palooka (technical term) of all crawdads. It could have passed for a Maine lobster. When I stepped near him, he didn't backpeddle. He actually came after my wading boot. I though about catching him for the camera, but his claws made me think better of it.

Though the bass above would have no trouble with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment